There is a New FAQ
Information in the rest of this post is no longer being updated and may become inaccurate.
I've noticed, as I'm sure a lot of regulars here have as well, that there are a LOT of redundant questions. So I thought I'd take a stab at creating a Sticky-Worthy thread to help people before they ask why Mr. Robot has them under the hit cap for the 83rd time.Table of ContentsGeneral Mr. Robot Website Questions My character won't update I can't load my character Stats won't update Mr. Robot Optimization Questions Not hit/exp capped?
*Tank version Mr. Robot says my belt has too many sockets Boot enchant questions Mr. Robot shows wrong stat values Item ranking, BIS, Score questions
- Updated 7/11 Drop Down lists are not dynamic Set bonuses BoE gear, and how Mr. Robot filters it What raid buffs does Mr. Robot use? (Also covers Dark Intent) Mobile App FAQ Typing special characters Mr. Robot's mobile app Getting a "not purchased" errorChange log
2011 December 15:
-Added some stuff about being unable to Reload characters.
2011 September 7:
-Oh damnit! I hit the 20,000 character limit. Have to go delete something so I can even post this...
-It's been a while! I definitely need to make a sweeping pass at this thing. My oh my how some stuff has changed.
-Made a quick pass to fit Relative Ranking in. It's not... great. But ideally, with the new system, it's not really much of a question anymore anyway. Still, I do want to get things explained more clearly.
-Must... learn... how to use RoboCouncil. Since I totally now need a section on that. Seems pretty straight forward thus far, so might not need much.
-RoboCouncil? What am I talking about? It's a new mobile app feature that helps Loot Masters pick "X item is a better upgrade for Y player." I've played with it maybe 5 minutes. It's awesome.
2011 July 11:
-HAPPY SLURPEE DAY
-Added some stuff regarding server calculations, BIS lists, and BIS in general. Thanks Kaledan!
2011 June 26:
-Added MOAR options for typing crazy characters. You people and your crazy characters.
2011 June 23:
-Added a few more methods of typing crazy characters into the mobile app. Srsly, use normal letters like normal people! Or just do what I do; spend several hours digging through thesauruses, foreign language dictionaries and crafting multiple permutations devising unique character names
2011 June 19:
-Table of Contents, round 1!
-Updated a couple of entries to make them up-to-date since they were originally written.
2011 June 10:
-Added an initial batch of mobile app questions. I'll try to keep an eye out for more!
-I finally figured out how to create anchor links within these forums (as evidenced by my experimental links above!). Once I get some time... TABLE OF CONTENTS!General Mr. Robot Website Questions ^TOP^My character won't update
- 12/15 ^TOP^
There are a few things that can cause items to not update, or to appear incorrect on Mr. Robot.
First, check to make sure the Armory is actually displaying your character correctly. If it isn't, there's nothing Mr. Robot can do until the Armory updates.
Next, if the Armory is correct, but you can not Reload an up-to-date copy of your character on Mr. Robot, it is possible the Armory is confused an doesn't think anything has "changed" on your character. When requesting data from the Armory, Mr. Robot sents a timestamp to check first "when was the last time something changed" - this helps cut down on traffic for both sites. However, sometimes, even if something has changed, the Armory will return "nope, just keep using the data I sent you last." If that's what is happening, log onto WoW and change something; take off/put on a shirt/tabard and log back out. This should wake up the Armory (verify the change happened on the Armory, too) and Mr. Robot should then be able to pull the new information.
If neither of those work, you might have some local data cached, and you can clear that out by following this: How to Clear your Browser Cache
If you still
have issues, feel free to post your Region, Realm, and Character name and someone will look into it for you!I can't load my character! ^TOP^
Is the Armory down? If you can't view your character sheet on the Armory, Mr. Robot won't be able to either.
People do seem to have other arbitrary issues with loading their characters. They frequently have special characters, but not always. So far, the only fix I've seen is to have someone else load the character and post a link. The only advice I have if your character is viewable in Armory is to simply make sure you are typing everything correctly, in the correct field. Even I accidently type my character's name into the Realm field on occation. Realms with apostrophes and spaces are fine, as are all manner of special character.
Also, it appears that whenever Blizzard adds a new splash page to their EU site, it gets in the way of Mr. Robot loading the character. In this situation, you may need to simply wait for Team Robot to post an update to circumvent the new splash page.My stats won't update! They're still old, and the Armory has the right stats! ^TOP^
Mr. Robot remembers the last version of your character he saw, and he will continue to use that one until you click the "Reload" button to refresh it. The Armory is a busy site, and Mr. Robot doesn't like to bother him unless he needs to.Mr. Robot Optimization Questions ^TOP^Mr. Robot has me under the hit/exp cap! Why? ^TOP^
(scroll down for tank explanation):
Contrary to popular belief, getting exactly enough hit to reach your respective hit caps is not always (in fact, rarely) the 100% optimal way to go. I'll leave it to Yellow to explain:
As for why it is suggesting being slightly under the hit cap: it is a common misconception propagated by many theorycrafters that you must be at or over the hit cap. Being a little under can often be more optimal. I usually explain it as follows: you gain nothing special by reaching the hit cap. You don't get a sudden boost in DPS, it doesn't change the relative worth of any other stats, and so on. The only significant thing that happens at the hit cap is... hit rating becomes worthless.
In other words, don't look at the hit cap as a "goal" when gearing up -- look at it as a "constraint" when gearing up.
That said, when you get close to the hit cap, it just turns into a math problem that Mr. Robot happily solves for you. It is best understood with an extreme example:
Say you have 16.5% hit, and you have only two gear options to choose from:
1. Add 1000 hit rating
2. Add 1000 haste rating
Which should you choose? Obviously you should choose 1000 haste! Who cares if you're 0.5% under the hit cap... you get tons of haste! Whereas if you had chosen hit, you would have wasted almost all of it.
Mr. Robot is doing this exact math problem for you, but of course the numbers are much closer to each other, making it difficult to do by inspection as in this trivial example.
All that being said, I have shown over and over (as has yellow) that being close tithe hit cap is just as good as being *at* the hit cap. My favorite example: if you land an attack that can miss every 1 second, you need a 0.28% chance to miss to be expected to miss *one* attack in a 6 minute fight. Being within 0.5% of the hit cap is more than sufficient. Optimal gear sets will almost never be at or over the hit cap for ANY class!
Not convinced still? Here's a bit more
. A lot of the same, but there is some other good info as well, including why other sites might not be as useful as you think.Mr. Robot has me under the hit/exp cap, tank edition - 4/28 ^TOP^
Threat is more or less meaningless for tanks. This is under the assumption of a raid setting. And since 4.1, most interrupts, including those done by tanks, can no longer miss. I personally know that in a 5man heroic, threat actually can
be an issue as your fellow players all decide to pick a separate target and belittle you for being a bad tank after you let them die... But until Blizzard changes something, which I believe they intend to in the future (hinted at here
) threat and the stats that increase it simply aren't very important.Mr. Robot says my belt has one/two sockets, but it has zero/one! ^TOP^
Mr. Robot always applies a belt buckle.Boot enchants! QUESTIONS ABOUT THEM! ^TOP^
There are a few things here.
1) Mr. Robot personally thinks you should ALWAYS run faster than 100%.
2) Some classes have talents that boost run speed. If you have them, Mr. Robot can see this, and should select a non-runspeed enchant. If you do not, he will opt to make your feet faster. Also, Mr. Robot's default talent trees typically have Run Speed talents picked, and therefore do not have run speed enchants selected in their BiS lists.
3) Mr. Robot does not consider glyphed Bone Shield a valid Run Speed replacement, and will suggest enchanting your boots regardless.
4) Selecting different options can greatly influence what Mr. Robot will suggest. You can exclude Run Speed entirely by selecting the approporiate option.Mr. Robot says I have a different amount of something than WoW says! ^TOP^
There might be a few reasons for this.
1) Mr. Robot bases all of his stat conversions on a level 85 character. The lower level your character, the more % you get out of a point of rating.
2) You may not be looking at the right stats. Mr. Robot optimizes your character based on full raid buffs, and the "Optimized" tab takes all raid buffs, including Well Fed, into consideration. This can be a big deal for tank classes who get dodge and parry from agility and strength. Except for druids... they haven't yet learned to parry attacks with their face. Yet. But I digress.
3) In 4.0.6, [Raz's Pauldrons]
was bugged, and gave +20 hit instead of +10 hit on the socket bonus. Mr. Robot can't do anything about these kind of situations. I don't actually know if this item has been corrected yet, actually.
Also, "random" items (i.e. Jewelcrafting items, and a host of drops from Throne of the Four Winds) are not correctly interpreted by the armory, but Mr. Robot is real good at getting them right.Mr. Robot ranks [item] higher, but I equip it and my score goes down, or it's not listed as BiS! ^TOP^
Also: What is Absolute Ranking?
Item lists are ranked (by default - absolute ranking) "in a vaccuum" - meaning, if your character was naked, and only had that *one* item equipped, (given your selected restrictions) that item would be the best choice. For example, with DPS classes, this is more or less guaranteed to be an item with high +hit, since hit is always favored so highly before you reach caps. However, if you're very close to or above your hit cap(s), +hit could be worthless for you despite a +hit item being ranked very highly in a slot were you currently have none.
Note, there is an item at the top of the list, above the #1 ranked item. This item is the BiS item, assuming, of course, you have every other BiS item also equipped and correctly gemmed/reforged according to Mr. Robot
With Relative rankings now here, you will get a far more accurate "list" of items that should almost always dictate direct upgrades.Update - 7/11:
Just to add, sometimes Mr. Robot isn't perfect. But he is generally within 0.5% of the 100% perfect absolute maximum solution. The reason he's given this room for error is a rather complex math issue that is run into when performing calculations of this sort: the amount of calculations required scales up exponentially. Mr. Robot sacrifices that 0.5% accuracy in order to perform at the speed he does. Gaining that 0.5% could take minutes... or even hours.Mr. Robot's item dropdown lists are not dynamic - 9/7 ^TOP^
Mr. Robot lists items in two ways: Absolute:
in a vacuum, non-dynamic, based as if it were the ONLY ITEM you'd put on. This is the DEFAULT setting.Relative:
takes the rest of your gear, gems, enchants, reforges, into accountDoes Mr. Robot take my set bonus into account? - 4/28 ^TOP^
Yes, Mr. Robot takes set bonuses into account and assigns them the appropriate stat weights. - ZoopBoEs behave oddly with Mr. Robot. Explain. EXPLAIN! - 4/28 ^TOP^
First off, there are a few types of BoE Drops.World Drops
- these have a minuscule chance of dropping off various regular mobs in the world. Things you'd kill for quests, while grinding out mats, etc. VERY low chance, most people will never see one drop. Note - if you're on this site, or have been playing for more than one expansion, you've probably already evolved beyond "most people" Zone Drops
- these are drops that come from specific places. [Ironstar's Impenetrable Cover]
drops from 17 specific mobs within Blackwing Decent, and only Blackwing Decent. The chance is low, but if you clear BWD every week, you'll see it before too long, almost guaranteed.World Boss Drops
- Making a triumphant return in 4.1, world bosses once again roam the land with epic lewtz. Well, they've been here since the launch of Cataclysm, but their loot has been, well, garbage for anyone who can clear a heroic 5 man. The loot itself is not rare. Kill the boss, and he'll drop his epic BoE. The thing is tho, the *boss* is rare. Not only do you have to find him when he's alive, but you also have to get to him, along with your crew of 5-10 able bodied adventurers, and take him down without the opposite faction (if you're on a PvP server!) disrupting your battle. Also, these guys aren't exactly tank'n'spanks, either. They can be tricky.
ANYWAY, short story long, how does this play with Mr. Robot? Well, now that I've got some categories defined, I can give ya a list of what Mr. Robot does, presently.
#1) Are World Drops enabled? If so anything with the BoE tag is fair game. AH, here I come!
Is Tier 11 content enabled? If so, any zone drops that come from raid instances are fair game. Gogo trash farming!
- Last I heard, due to the unreliable nature of even Zone Drops, Team Robot elected to filter them under World Drops as well.Raid buffs, how to they work? - 6/8 ^TOP^
Mr. Robot assumes all raid buffs, including whatever flask you would receive from a Cauldron, and the Well Fed buff you would receive from a feast. There are a couple exceptions, with one of them being potentially important - single-targeted buffs. Things that can only be applied (by the caster) to one person. These are Focus Magic and Dark Intent. Dark Intent can easily help push a player past a particular haste cap and can thereby reduce the required amount of haste "needed" for your particular gear set. This would of course need to assume you are guaranteed to receive the buff, and would also need to assume the warlock who casts it on you does not die during the encounter. If you're confident about your situation, feel free to modify the softcap on Haste to reflect the fact that you will have that extra 3% from DI.Mobile App (iOS and Android) Specific Questions ^TOP^How do I type this strange weird accented character on my phone? ^TOP^
If your character name contains special characters, here is how you enter them using the Android or iOS keyboard:
Press and hold the appropriate key on your keyboard to get a box with variations of that letter, e.g. to enter an accented "A", press and hold the A key on your keyboard.
NOTE!!! There is at least one character I currently know of that you CANNOT access this way on a default iDevice keyboard: Ð. I'm sure there are others as well, since I was able to view some characters on iOS that I'm sure I didn't see on Android.
Here are some work-arounds for these:
1) Enable a foreign language keyboard. Here's how I did it on my iPad: Go to Settings, select General, then pick the Keyboard option. Click on International Keyboards option, and you'll have an option to add keyboards from all manner of languages. Then, when typing, you can hit the new globey button to the left of the space bar to access the other languages. Tap to cycle, hold to choose.
2) Access the character name some way on your device through other means and Copy/Paste it into the app. If you can access the character via the Armory, or even email yourself the character name.
3) Change your character's name to something a normal person can type you crazy person! Your WoW friends will thank you Hey hold up! It appears you that you have not purchased Mr. Robot's mobile app... ^TOP^
If you have in fact bought the app and you're seeing this message, remember, an active Internet connection is required. There were some situations where this message would occur even with an active internet connection - an update has been applied to correct this issue though (hopefully!)