Author Topic: Best in Bags  (Read 725 times)

odditi

• View Profile
Best in Bags
« on: March 31, 2013, 12:19:18 AM »
Is there a way to lock the gear i use in one spec and have it exclude those pieces of gear for my off spec? i do not want to share pieces but currently the BiB feature will still use items i have locked.

Revulva

• Mr. Robot's Drinking Buddy
    • View Profile
Re: Best in Bags
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 07:26:18 AM »
http://blog.askmrrobot.com/2013/01/best-in-bags/

There is a video at the top and some instructions in the post on how to do what you want.

odditi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 04:29:33 PM »
that didn't really help. For my off-spec i do not want to use ANY of my main-spec gear. That video tutorial showed how to lock the gear so that changes would not be made to them. I was asking about an option to not even consider gear that is locked to main-spec. Does this exist or can it?

Devloc

• Mr. Robot Human Resource
  • aka Vijari of Spinebreaker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 05:42:05 PM »
But, why?  Why not consider your Main Spec gear, if by doing NOTHING to it, it is better than any other of your gear?

If I have a [DPS Chest of Kill Things] that gives me 500 stamina, 500 strength, 500 mastery and say, 500 haste, I think I'm going to want to wear that over my [Tank Chest of Stay Alive] that has 300 stamina, 300 strength, 300 mastery, and 300 dodge.  Even if I can't reforge that 500 dodge into something useful, or change a gem to something tanky.  If Mr. Robot is suggesting it's BiB even as a DPS item, then he's saying that item is straight up better for tanking than what you already have.

Now, I can perhaps see where this might be an issue, but again, stat weights.  For instance, a helm with a DPS metagem?  Mr. Robot is already accounting for the stats you're "losing" by using a tanking meta.  Or how about boots that don't have a movement enchant on them, since your DPS spec doesn't require one?  Well that one I'll give you, I don't have an answer for that.  I don't know how highly Mr. Robot weighs run speed and if that weight would overcome a locked boot enchant.
"QUIET!  I'M TRYING TO SNEAK UP ON THEM!"

Revulva

• Mr. Robot's Drinking Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 06:47:37 PM »
We don't weight run speed, we just default to it and users can exclude them manually via options.

As Devloc said, we don't have any option to completely ignore items on the BiB optimizer because... well, we didn't even think to do that, since it doesn't make sense, from an optimization standpoint. We will take not of the request and add it to the list... if lots of folks want it, we'll add it in.

Devloc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 09:33:50 PM »
I THOUGHT OF THE MOST VALID REASON EVER AS TO WHY THIS NEEDS TO BE A THING.

Transmog.

srsly.  My tank set got all sorts of messed up when I started wearing my DEEPS gear.

odditi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 10:00:00 PM »
i think i have the best answer to your question of why. The wife asked. my original post never said it was not doing what was advertised, it was instead asking if it could do something different and i didnt know how to make it do so.

In all seriousness,  She likes to be able to have separate and independent gear sets for her main spec and off spec. Since the off spec is hand me downs from her main spec or duplicates it would make the item level difference minimal (with the exception of new expansion packs) which could in turn come down to secondary stat values over slight gain of primary stats. I am finding this the case with my monk where LFR gear is better then VP gear because the itemization of secondary stats. In your example the difference of primary stat far outweighed the lose of additional secondary stats from the dodge. I would hope that most people that are using this program to find what gear is better can at least look at your example and not need a program to tell them that the first is better for either spec, especially with the option to reforge.

Another question came up while i was writing this up. If you have 2 of the same item in your bags, say one is gemed/chanted/locked for shadow (she plays a Spriest/disc) while the other has nothing done to it. when she goes to do the BiB option for her off spec, will it pick the one that is not locked to the Shadow spec?

I looked around briefly for a way to request features and did not find anything. is there a special way/place to post feature requests?

Devloc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 11:11:09 PM »
If the locked item just happens to be gemmed/enchanted/reforged exactly the way it needs to be, then no, Mr. Robot will not pick the locked item, and will instead pick the unlocked item to modify.

And, the example I gave was very obvious on purpose.  However, Mr. Robot uses math to determine situations that are in fact NOT obvious.  Like when you have items that are close. For example, say you have plate bracers Mastery/Exp with a lot of mastery on them, no socket, no reforge, and an Exp enchant on it.  I could end this example here, because the ambiguity of the item I described is the point I was trying to make.

Even if that Exp was reforged into +haste, well for a paladin that's still vague, but if the item it was replacing is a lower ilvl, it still could be better, even if it's off-spec.  That's what Mr. Robot determines.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is Mr. Robot does in fact consider "is this item better than the item I can modify, even with the tank/dps/healer modifications?"  I do also respect your point though.  You had a question and you asked it!  What more reason do you need?  Not to mention, I'm sure there are people out there who have their own reasons as well; RP servers come to mind, or like you said, perhaps it's just easier to have totally different sets, and mixing them will throw them off their groove.

Like Rev said... it never even occurred to them while making the feature.  And if it's requested enough, it should make it in.