Author Topic: Browser Support  (Read 27899 times)

yellowfive

• Mr. Robot's Drinking Buddy
    • View Profile
Browser Support
« on: December 10, 2010, 03:37:13 PM »
Team Robot web content has been tested on the following platforms/browsers:

Windows
Latest release versions of IE, Firefox, and Chrome

Mac
Latest release versions of Safari and Firefox

While our web content will probably work in other modern browsers, older browser versions, and on Linux, we will only officially support the configurations listed above.

We will never officially support beta versions of web browsers.  There are just too many browsers and they update way too often for a small company to test on all of them, so we limit our testing to the most common release versions.

You should always be using an updated version of your favorite browser!  There is no reason or excuse for any person (or company) to be using outdated browsers.  Newer versions are faster, more capable, and more secure.

If you are using IE9 and getting a message that says you need to get the latest version of IE to use the site, or the site looks totally mangled, you probably have compatibility mode turned on.  To ensure that compatibility mode is turned off:

1. Usually you will see an icon that looks like a torn piece of paper on the right side of IE9's address bar (you should see 3 icons, the compatibility mode icon, the refresh circular-arrow icon, and the cancel "X" icon).

2. If you do not see a compatibility mode icon near your address bar, do the following:
  a. Press the 'Alt' key to show the menus in IE9
  b. Go to Tools -> Compatibility View Settings
  c. Ensure that askmrrobot.com does not appear in the listbox in the middle of the dialog; if it does, simply remove it.
  d. Ensure that "Display all websites in Compatibility View" is NOT checked.

A parting comment from Mr. Robot:

If you're using IE 6, 7 or 8, you're dead to me.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 01:33:37 PM by yellowfive »
Mr. Robot is on: Twitter and Facebook

Devloc

• Mr. Robot Human Resource
  • aka Vijari of Spinebreaker
    • View Profile
Re: Browser Support
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 12:33:35 PM »
Quote from: Mr.Robot
If you're using IE 6 or 7, you're dead to me.

Good grief... if you're using IE 7, I'd actively hunt you down.  I had to get our revamped site to work with IE 7 very recently.  Pain.  In.  The.  Ass.

I wanted to make the site display a massive ASCI middle finger if it detected IE 7 or older.
"QUIET!  I'M TRYING TO SNEAK UP ON THEM!"

TXCanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »
IE9 Beta doesn't seem to be working...  I'm using 9.0.7930.16406.  Does IE8+ not extend to IE9?

"It appears that you are using an old version of internet explorer. You need a newer version to use this site. It's a free and fast download.
We recommend the latest version of Google Chrome.
Alternatively, you can get the latest version of Internet Explorer."
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 02:55:43 PM by TXCanuck »

yellowfive

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 03:03:39 PM »
Interesting... I actually never tested on IE9.  It's probably just a bug in our browser detection that is flagging IE9 as a lower version of IE.  I'll fix that in the next update, as I'm sure the site will function just fine on IE9.

yellowfive

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 03:45:04 PM »
I just tried it on the latest version of ie9 (downloaded it just now), and it seemed to work fine... I'm using MooTools to detect the browser version, and it correctly detected it as ie9.

This was version 9.0.8080.16413.

TXCanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 06:04:34 AM »
I just upgraded to the IE9 RC, version 9.0.8080.16413.  And same response from www.askmrrobot.com/wow.  No luck.  I'll try and play with it tonight to see if I can do anything on this end.

I'm running on Windows 7, 64-bit in case that makes any difference.

Perhaps if you spit out the client/version it's detecting in the error message that might help.

Tryss

• Resolve Guild Member
  • plus 5,724
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 07:35:50 AM »
So I thought I'd check it out, and the IE Mobile browser on Windows Phone 7 does not work. I get this message as well:

"It appears that you are using an old version of internet explorer. You need a newer version to use this site. It's a free and fast download.
Alternatively, you can get the latest version of Internet Explorer."

As a plus, news just broke this week that IE9 is (eventually) coming to WP7.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 07:39:49 AM by Tryss »

yellowfive

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 10:58:37 AM »
That's weird... I installed that same version of IE9 on windows 7, 64-bit... and it worked.

I guess that I'll have to use a different method for detecting the IE version.

skad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 03:16:03 PM »
I"ve installed windows 9 and the new google chrome and your site still isnt loading is there anything else that can be done.

yellowfive

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 03:42:01 PM »
I would need more information to help you out -- what do you mean it isn't loading?  Are you getting an error?  If so, what is the message?  Is part of it loading but not others?

chode

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 06:15:43 AM »
Cant see the page and I got new internet explore version :IE9 version 9.0.8112.16421C ,but the page still says:

It appears that you are using an old version of internet explorer. You need a newer version to use this site. It's a free and fast download.
Alternatively, you can get the latest version of Internet Explorer.
It appears that you are using an old version of firefox. You need a newer version to use this site. It's a free and fast download.
Get the latest version of Firefox!
 2010-2011 Team Robot, LLC home forums technical support feedback

can u fix it so we can use the site

« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 06:17:41 AM by chode »

yellowfive

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 01:18:31 PM »
I just downloaded the latest version of IE9 on a windows 7 64-bit machine, and the site worked fine...

Do you have javascript disabled or something?  Or are you using some kind of other settings that would block or prevent some features of the site from functioning?

Snipe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 06:41:08 AM »
I do see that you don't actually support Chrome on Mac OS X.  Was curious if a fix was in the future?  When selecting a character, after typing in the name and server it comes back with a repeating error "undefined."  Does this on all 3 of my macs (10.6, 10.5, and 10.4).

yellowfive

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 09:33:00 AM »
I haven't tested chrome on the mac -- we have pretty limited resources, so we keep "official" support to just those listed in the original post.  If we have some time later this week, we'll see if we can try chrome on a mac.

Snipe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 12:06:02 PM »
Good to here.  I love this site, you guys are awesome.  I switched to chrome about 2 months ago and love it.  It's no big deal to just pop Safari when I need to pull my toons info.  I'd love to donate a bit if you guys allow it and if it would help out.