Fire Mage using AMR

Why does the gear explorer and BiB recommend different gems/enchants? Also it tells me to use and 895 ilvl head gear which lowers my int which lowers my dmg… I really like AMR but I’m very confused at times. Thanks in advance for any help.

1) Why does the gear explorer and BiB recommend different gems/enchants

The gear explorer is just that, a way to explore the gear in the game. It isn’t recommending anything (unless you click auto gem and enchant), and allows you to select any gear item in the game, at any iLevel, to then sim and see what effect it has on your dps.

The best in bags feature IS recommending gear, based on either the standard AMR fire mage gear weightings, or a custom one you generated.

2) Also it tells me to use and 895 ilvl head gear which lowers my int which lowers my dmg

AMR should only be recommending you equip gear that is a dps upgrade. Yes, more int equals more spell damage, but if you drop below say a certain haste value or crit value, getting more crit or haste can be worth more than int to a certain point. Also, things like sockets on items, tier set bonuses, or trinket effects can be worth more than sometimes a large int increase. For example, my 860 Arcano Crystal is better for my Beast Mastery hunter than an 895 agility trinket, even though the arcano crystal has no agility on it!

If AMR is recommending you that head piece, and then you actually sim LOWER, then either you need to generate custom stat weights again because your gear/talents/traits have changed significantly, OR that is a bug in the fire mage sim code.

I am not an expert by any means, but the above is just my experience and understanding.

Hope it helps!

1 Like

thank you so much! Big help!