Best in bags isnt working for 2nd specc

e346f41954c84bed9e829da7c76965b4

When I import my gear the best in bag function works with the specc (frost) I imported.
If I want to change the specc to fire, it creates a new setup and uses some random gear and some empty slots, when I want to see the best in bags. But I want to see the change from my actuall gear to the best in bags and not from some empty slots…

can somone help me?

It uses the last gear it saw for you in-game when you had a fire spec. If you change the spec in-game and then export, it should update.

thanks for response. That sucks >.<

I encountered this issue recently. I am building an Enhancement set for my Restoration-specced shaman in Classic. The optimizer does not take into account any of my Enhancement gear. It’s good to know why now, but it’s also silly to think that AMR isn’t programmed to work around this. It seems intuitive to think that a BiB search of Enh spec wouldn’t really need to know my spec at all, as the optimal Enh build is always stacking hit/crit/AP.

Since Classic doesn’t have the concept of a “spec” built in, it’s a little more difficult to update when importing a character. We recently made a change that should help out with this, but first some general info:

Normally, the way Best in Bags works is that you create multiple “setups” on the website. You can see a list of them on the left, and put them in priority order so that e.g. a lower-priority setup doesn’t change enchants on items that you have set for your higher-priority setups.

For each setup, you specify the talents that you wish to use in Step 1 (simply click on the talent summary to bring up the full tree and change them). These talents can be different than what you have chosen in-game. The important thing is that you choose the talents that you will ultimately use when raiding (or doing whatever content you are optimizing for).

The first time you use the site, we automatically populate the talents from what we saw on your character. After that, you have to change the talents manually whenever you wish to use something different. We won’t change or overwrite them when you import. We do it like this because it would be pretty irritating if we kept overwriting your talent choices all the time. For example, what if you had two setups for your Enhancement Shaman with two different talent builds… the whole point is that we don’t overwrite those talents when you import, since you want to maintain two builds with different talents.

As for updating your equipped gear when importing, we use a couple rules to figure out which of your setups to update. Firstly, if any of your setups on the website have the exact same talents chosen as those that you currently have chosen in-game, we update the equipped gear for those setups. Secondly, if you have a majority of points in one tree, e.g. Enhancement, we update the equipped gear for any Enhancement setup that you have created.

Hopefully that information helps explain how the import process works for Classic.

Short version: if you can’t get the gear on a setup to update on import, change the talents on the setup on the website to match your current talents in-game, then import. You can always change them back after importing.

As for updating your equipped gear when importing, we use a couple rules to figure out which of your setups to update. Firstly, if any of your setups on the website have the exact same talents chosen as those that you currently have chosen in-game, we update the equipped gear for those setups. Secondly, if you have a majority of points in one tree, e.g. Enhancement, we update the equipped gear for any Enhancement setup that you have created.

While I appreciate the effort you put into providing that background info, I was already completely aware of all of that. That being said, none of that info changes my experience. It seems to me the rules AMR uses to import gear are not working correctly for some off-spec builds.

Short version: if you can’t get the gear on a setup to update on import, change the talents on the setup on the website to match your current talents in-game, then import. You can always change them back after importing.

Over and over again, I have tried deleting and creating a new Enhancement setup and yet no matter how many imports I do, the optimizer returns a result using gear from ~6 months ago. I noticed this issue over a month ago and honestly gave up trying to solve it until today when I noticed some similar experiences posted in this forum. I was under the impression OP was experiencing the same issue as me, but based on your explanation, what I am actually experiencing is a glitch. Deleting, creating a new setup, configuring talents, and importing a new string from my game client should work, is what you are saying, right? Because that is not working for me.

Edit: Just re-read my post and I sound rather abrasive. Sorry about that. I’m just in disbelief that the issue I’ve been experiencing is possibly a bug, as it has persisted for so long that I assumed it was simply a design flaw.

If you click the “help” link next to the big Best in Bags section header, then follow the instructions to create a snapshot, copy the ID here – with that I can try your exact setups.

Then, also paste the string of data you are importing from the game into a post here. With that I can test your exact case and see why it is not updating the gear for your setup. There are so many unique ways a person can configure the site and their gear, could be that we aren’t handling a specific case well.

This isnt working for me either. The moment I switch from frost to fire, it takes some random items from half a year ago.

A “base”, kinda like a generic setup, that is always updated would be nice. So I only have to change the talents on that setup for my next iterations.

But anyways… Im gonna try the workaround you posted here. Thanks for the information!