I have been having this exact same issue. I run simulations and they get stuck on a chunk. So I thought I would "brute force" it to see if I could get it to completes. I created two 16 processors instances on Azure, used my gaming desktop (Core i7) and a entertainment PC (Core i5). This simulation ran for nearly 12 hours with 42 processors working on it. I had to restart the clients on multiple occasions. Finally, I got down to the last 10 steps of the simulation on one of the 16 core Azure instances. However, I couldn't get a chicken dinner. It was just stuck. The processors all ran at nearly 100% for hours. Then... the client got updated and I lost my ability to restart it. I had to stop it because I think I chewed through about $50 in two days running this on Azure.
I am currently trying to run a new simulation using the latest client. Seems to still be getting stuck. Lets see if I can get it to finish though.
BTW: I have reported this to AskMrRobot during when I first got the problem, then after I tried the Azure brute force approach.