Errors that I've encountered while making boss sims

Just going to make a place for me to put Errors that I’ve come across that are somewhat vague in their meaning and have needed to troubleshoot myself.

The given key was not present in the dictionary.

This likely means you linked an action or “Kill Priority” to an NPC that doesn’t exist. Check everywhere that you have NPCs named and make sure you spelled them correctly or included ones you may have removed.

Error parsing: [Code thing here], message: No coercion operator is defined between types ‘System.Double’ and ‘System.String’.

This happens when you’re using Temporary Variable in one of your code boxes (not sure what else to call them.) Generally, you want to set your “Temporary Variable Types” to “Double.” It defaults to “String,” so make sure to change it. I’m sure the other types have uses as well, but I am not sure.

“Boss action sequence must have at least two entries that are not at the same time.”

EDIT: As Yellowfive said below, this is actually when you have not checked “Once” on a boss Action and it repeats forever. Read his post below to Understand it better.

Two factory-generated intervals overlap. Can’t do that.

This is my least favorite error. This means you have NPC Intervals that overlap with each other. Check the intervals, their start times, and how long they are. Make sure they don’t conflict with each other. It may be that you need to make a special interval for when the two other intervals overlap.

Index was outside the bounds of the array.

This one I am not totally sure about yet. I encountered this one when I did not give an action an amount. When I gave it an amount of 0, it seemed to work. I’ll update this if I ever encounter it again.

EDIT: Okay, I encountered this one again. I found out what was causing it in this case, which seems different than the last time I encountered it. I had NPCs that spawned at a certain time and were alive a period of time past the Fight Length. If I removed them, reduced the time period they were alive, or increased the length of the fight, this error went away.

Overall, I think this error is definitely my least favorite of the bunch. If it could just tell me what Index is outside which array, that’d be very nice. wink wink nudge nudge

That’s it for now. Hope this helps someone!

So the “index was outside the bounds…” and “object reference not set…” and “given key was not present…” – those are all very generic errors that you can’t pin to a single cause. It essentially means that there isn’t enough error-checking on some part of the boss scripting to give a more descriptive message. I just haven’t had time to go back and really polish up the boss editor into something more user friendly… still on the list!

In the meantime, your best bet is to make changes to your scripts in very small steps. Change one thing, save it and run it. Change one more thing, etc. Then you can isolate the particular thing that might cause an error.

“Boss action sequence must have at least two entries that are not at the same time.” This error is not related to overlapping NPC intervals. The list of actions that a boss performs on the tank has sort of two “modes”. If you flag an action as “once”, it will only be executed one time, relative to the phase or fight start. You can then specify a “repeat” interval if you would like on that action, which will cause it to repeat regularly. But the action itself only runs once, i.e. the repeater only gets started once.

The other mode is if you don’t flag something as “once”, it becomes part of a repeating sequence. e.g. you could specify three actions at time 5, 6, and 7. When it gets to the last one, it will start the sequence over and do the three actions again at time 12, 13, and 14.

The sequence mode turned out to not be as generally useful, ended up confusing most people trying to use it. So I would recommend that you set “once” on all actions and use the repeat field to define recurring actions. If the sequence mode makes sense to you then go ahead and use it though!

1 Like

Thank you, Yellow!

You were correct about the "Boss action"s error. That was me misremembering. I fixed my post with the correct error for both.

And thanks for letting me know about the sequence instead of Once for actions. I think I could actually use that in some places.

Oh boy! Found a new one

Sequence contains no matching element

No idea what this one means yet. Will keep you guys updated!

That is another generic error – it is searching a list for something it expects to have a match, and not finding it. Usually caused by an unexpectedly empty list.