May 2020: Simulator Client Update

Today we released a significant update to the simulator client. You can download it on the simulator client web page and read more details about how it works in the simulator client manual.

If you are running a version of the client less than version 1239, you need to remove it from your computer and manually download the new version.

We released the first version of this new client a couple days ago as 1237, but ran into a couple issues – please remove those versions and manually get this latest version.

Please let us know if you encounter any issues with this new version of the client by replying to this thread. We’ll investigate and resolve them as quickly as possible. It is a bit difficult for us to test on all potential platforms that people are running the client. Once we have hammered out any issues, this version of the client should be able to auto-update itself through the rest of BfA and all of Shadowlands.

…thanks so much for the update! This version works as intended on macOS and I think it’s even faster than the previous versions!

Thanks again!

Best

1 Like

I just updated the Docker image I’ve been maintaining to work with the latest changes.

https://hub.docker.com/r/gaffneyc/askmrrobot

1 Like

The attributes of the file zamr are such that a scheduled Retrospect network backup fails with:

File "F:\AskMrRobotClient\zamr": can't read, error -1020 (sharing violation)
	Trouble reading files, error -598 (network connection unexpectedly lost)

Would it be possible to change the file attributes such that the sharing violation didn’t happen?

Is there a way for you to tell your backup program to skip that file? Or skip the entire simulator client?

I can see if there’s a way to get around this issue, but there may not be. The client intentionally holds a lock on that file while running.