Gems in TBC were kind of a mess… we have added a few features to help people customize the optimizer a bit more and sort through the hundreds of different gems available.
You can now exclude gems from optimization like you can exclude enchants.
This option is a checkbox available on Best in Bags and Best in Slot. By default, we won’t use unique-equipped gems in optimizations. You can turn this on to include them. Unique-equipped gems come from sources like dungeons, PvP vendor, JC-only crafted gems, and a few others.
There is now a filter box at the top of the gem list. Here are some example filters you can use:
- “red” – show only red gems
- “unique” – show only unique gems
- “strength” – show only gems with strength on them
We have made a few tweaks to gem optimization:
- If a strength gem would give the same value as an attack power gem, we’ll always favor that over attack power.
- We have added phase and faction restrictions for many gems where it was missing. We had to guess at the phase on a couple because they came out in patches between the major phases. We’ll adjust as necessary depending on what Blizzard does.