Writhing Segment of Drest'agath

I noticed in one of our M+ logs that [Writhing Segment of Drest’agath] was not doing as much damage as I expected to see it doing. The damage source is called “Spine Eruption”.

I’ve isolated a use on 3 targets here: Warcraft Logs - Combat Analysis for Warcraft

I compared it to a sim and it looks like the sim has it doing twice the damage it would otherwise: Not Available

Am I misreading something? Or is it over-represented in the sim?

Do you have the trinket? Maybe it splits damage – pretty easy to test on the training dummies.

Unfortunately I do not. Along with the log, there’s some comments on wowhead to that effect. If I get it I’ll let you know, and in the meantime I’ll check my guild logs.

Yeah there’s a “type” of split damage trinket that does 15% more for each target hit (up to a cap… 5 extra targets I think). I wonder if that’s how it works.

I’ll take another shot at winning one this weekend. In the meantime, here are some logs with it:

(iLvL 460 Version) Warcraft Logs - Combat Analysis for Warcraft

I’m not sure exactly how to reverse-engineer the damage numbers accurately out of those values. But it’s splitting, whether it’s getting the 15% or not I can’t quite tell. Likely not as good as the ranking in any case.

Edit: Now that I’ve finished writing this up, I see that it’s fixed in the simulator. I assume the gearing strategies are going to be fixed in the next update?

Old post for data validation:

I ran two M+ dungeons with a friend with the 460 version of this trinket: (Warcraft Logs - Combat Analysis for Warcraft)

I compiled some damage-per-hit numbers from these logs, ignoring crits:

1 Hit: 82876 (79305 on bosses)
2 Hit: 47643 Total: 95286
3 Hit: 35905 Total: 107715
4 Hit: 30036 Total: 120144
5 Hit: 26515 Total: 132575
6 Hit: 23131 Total: 138786
8 Hit: 17348 Total: 138784
11Hit:13182 Total: 145002 (I assume the discrepancies here and below are procs or something)
22 Hit: 5993 Total: 131846

This seems to confirm your 15% up to 5 extra targets