Wrath of the Lich King Classic in development

And why was this not worked on before the prepatch? Not like this is a free product or anything.

1 Like

There wasn’t any version of the game available for me to test against until recently, and we had to spend a lot of time updating Shadowlands for the new season right around when the WotLK PTR became available. Only one of me, and only so much time in the day!

Also, we generally have not worried much about pre-patch periods for any version of WoW. They are transitional, not balanced well, and generally have little to no theory work done for them by the community. We focus on max-level PvE content for each expansion, thus we’re working on level 80 stuff for WotLK.

7 Likes

I don’t know if this helps but wowhead has a gear planner that you see all the base stats for each race/class combo. WotLK Gear Planner - WotLK Classic

Handy – didn’t know they had that for WotLK. I’ll check it out and compare it to the data that I have.

Its because we’re always second to retail. Probably because they make more money off retail but they would have to release that info to really know.
They made a half hearted push to support classic months late, tbc a month late, and now we finally get amr for wotlk(maybe) but no prepatch support. Probably has a part to play on why they didnt gain more traction coming late to the party every release.

But you know most that use it now will pay for it again. Just be glad they didnt wait until after release to even start it like Classic and TBC.

For Reference (going off their optimizers is live posts and google release dates on classic)
Classic: August 2019 release, AMR Classic Releases Feb 2020
TBC: June 2021 Release, AMR July TBC Classic Release
Lets see if we can get the AMR release for wotlk release this time at least.

We weren’t even going to do the classic track at all… which is why the first one was late. But enough people expressed interest that we decided to do it.

We were considering not doing TBC either because not that many people use the classic versions of the site… but decided at the last minute to go ahead and do it.

This time we’re going to roll the dice and say enough people will use it and have it done for launch. We’ll see if we break even or not…

As stated above, we rarely support pre-patches fully. We just didn’t have enough time to develop a pre-patch version of the TBC site and they are rarely worth the effort for how short they are and poorly balanced they are. We didn’t have access to a server to test on early enough to do it anyway, so it’s kind of a moot point.

9 Likes

If you need beta access, i play 8+ hours a day and have access to beta and on discord pretty much all day, let me know.

Another request. Please add resilience to stat filter and don’t remove pvp only things (like stam/resil gems or resil enchants). I only PVP but I still like to use AMR to organize my sets but I can’t select some of the items because they just didn’t exist in the TBC options.

1 Like

How’s it lookin? Is it gonna make it by launch?

Trying! We have the UI working, most of the stat calculations completed, most of the item data loading and categorized. We have glyphs working, still need to get the addon reading them.

This week will be dedicated mostly to further work on the optimization models for each spec. We hope to have something at least working for each spec at launch, though we will likely need to spend another week or so dialing them in. It’s always challenging finding quality information about these old versions of the game.

5 Likes

especially when there is #SomeChanges

1 Like

Yeah it’s still a little unclear what the specifics of those changes will be – they mentioned a streamlined currency system for upgrades, so we’ll probably have to wait and see, then update item source information and upgrade finder searches accordingly.

They also mentioned making dungeons a bit more relevant throughout WotLK… we’ll see what kind of loot rewards they end up adding.

1 Like

They’re moving to 2 different tokens, depending on where they drop from. But they’ve also announced a big change for the Ulduar phase where they’ll have 10 man raid loot from the previous phase dropping from a new dungeon difficulty (Heroic+).

Could you link me that announcement? Been pretty busy with coding and haven’t had time to keep up with the news.

If that’s how they do it… that would be pretty nice for me – no new items, just new ways to get existing items.

1 Like

As far as I can tell, it was an interview not a bluepost: Loot Changes and Heroic Plus Dungeons Coming in Wrath Classic - Wowhead News

1 Like

expecting it to be ready on launch still?

3 Likes

It’ll be close… might need a few more days to finish up. But I mean, some of the server queues will be half a day long anyway, so we have some flexibility, right?

6 Likes

Well that sucks

Unfortunate

We’ll post something that is largely working tomorrow. I’ll need till the end of the week to implement all the details and work out the bugs.

12 Likes

Thank you guys so much for your hard work! I’m looking forward to your addon release.

2 Likes